Special Professional Development opportunities through GST
- Senior GST students act as mentors for incoming students.
- UT’s Center for International Education provides detailed orientation programs for international students. Their resources are also helpful for domestic students.
- The PhD curriculum specifies annual meetings with the student’s dissertation committee to track progress toward the degree.
- UT operates a statistical consulting center. GST offers courses in advanced statistics such as Statistical Genomics (LFSC695). Students may pursue a Minor in Statistics.
- At the GST Colloquium (LFSC541), as well as during the annual GST Retreat, graduate students present their research accomplishments to the GST community.
- GST makes financial contributions towards travel to conferences and workshops. To apply, contact the director.
- GST students hone their proposal writing skills through dedicated classes such as BCMB530. The Graduate School Office of Graduate Training and Mentorship provides support for external fellowship applications.
- GST students have access to UT’s Science Communication Program (Mark Littmann, Director), which teaches writing for scientific and lay readerships.
- A course in Scientific Integrity is mandatory for all GST students.
- The Division of Biology as well as the Graduate School offer workshops to develop effective teaching skills. The Division of Biology and other units on campus make annual awards for excellence in teaching.
- The Division of Biology present awards for outstanding achievements in graduate student research.
The following is an example of the approved designs for The Graduate School of Genome Science and Technology.